Click a subject to get full description
Click a subject to get full description
The Senior Buyer will be responsible for the operational procurement activity within the Materials Management department. The SB will report to the Materials Manager to provide professional procurement input. The extent of the support will vary, but potentially may cover all aspects of the procurement process from market evaluation through to contract award – and, in some cases, contract and dispute management. A candidate with international sourcing experience is preferred. The position will require both domestic and international travel.
Main accountabilities include:
- Developing and maintaining relationships with suppliers by creating a clear supply network to ensure a qualified and reliable supply chain.
- Leading or supporting the sourcing process by coordinating with Estimating, Product Management, and Engineering to draft specifications, select criteria, schedule materials and document processes to ensure that the most appropriate supplier selection is achieved.
- Leading or supporting commercial negotiations with the clear responsibility to ensure that deals represent the best commercial outcome
- Identifying fresh procurement opportunities through data analysis and engagement with relevant suppliers.
This role will be key to ensure that the business selects the most appropriate vendors by considering the business requirements and evaluating them commercially to achieve the best results.
As a further focus of this role, the Senior Buyer will be required to undertake general procurement activities by supporting the new vendor process, data analysis, spend and compliance reporting and the roll out of new processes and policies.
The SB will also support the business in the execution of the new vendor process so that the relevant service levels and key performance indicators are adequately defined.
Strategic Planning & Decision Making
The candidate will be required to understand/analyze the cost base and the pipeline of future activity and translate this into clear sourcing plans.
The SB must be capable of working in a dynamic and complex business environment, with people at all levels. This will include selling and demonstrating the benefits of professional procurement to internal clients and representing the organization externally.
Skills, knowledge and experience
The candidate must have a solid procurement background and will be required to make immediate impact adding to the effectiveness and operational efficiency. The candidate will have interpersonal skills, with the ability to influence and persuade both internal clients and suppliers. The candidate should have demonstrable negotiation experience, and be able to act on their initiative, while maintaining attention to detail. International sourcing experience is preferred.
Summary of key skills would include:
- Relationship management
- Change management
- Commercial Acumen
- Enthusiasm and self-motivation
- Attention to detail
- Complex Problem Solving
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and E Procurement tools
- Data Analysis
The role will not directly manage any team members, but will be required to lead various project teams in relation to the correct sourcing and vendor engagement procedures.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following:
- A collaborative approach
- Global mindset: thinking and acting for both local and global needs
- Ability to influence
- Accountability/Making tough decisions
- Empowering of others
- Creating shared understanding (being transparent)
- Professional credibility
- Experience in leading commercial negotiations is desired
- Analytics experience is required together with the necessary knowledge of business systems and other analysis software packages including MS Excel for example.
- Experience in a global role is desirable
Advanced Quality Planning
Advanced Quality Planning (AQP) is a process that brings all disciplines in the manufacturing process which ensures quality parts are produced. AQP is a proven process at B&D that guarantees our customers quality parts are on-time, safely.