Click a subject to get full description
Click a subject to get full description
The Welding Engineer is responsible for developing welding techniques, procedures, and application of welding utilizing knowledge of production specifications, properties and characteristics of metals, metal alloys, and general engineering principles. In addition, Weld Engineers conduct research and developmental investigations to develop and test new fabrication processes and procedures or improve existing techniques and procedures.
Responsibilities And Results:
- Maintain existing welding process to Manufacturing standards
- Reduce costs through continuous improvement activities that improve safety, quality and productivity.
- Define recommended welding spare parts.
- Develop and maintain weld parameter/ setup sheets
- Support and lead new line launch verification projects
- Work with Maintenance and Engineering staff to maintain and improve weld quality.
- Implement, test and monitor products from time to time in production equipment
- Support in driving standardization across the following joining processes in manufacturing:
- Developing training documentation on the above joining processes in relationship to quality requirements of the customer.
- Trouble shoot welding (GMAW, RSW, and DAW) issue on production tooling.
- Develop welding schedules for (GMAW, RSW and DAW).
- Participate in design reviews for upcoming new projects.
- Interface with new equipment vendors and customers (internal and external).
Required Education And Experience:
- B.S Welding Engineering or equivalent understanding of resistance welding and arc welding principals and standards, as well as mechanical engineering
- 4 years’ experience in a welding manufacturing environment, automotive experience preferred
- Must have proficiency with Free Hand, Mig Welding and Fanuc/Genesis Robotic Welding.
- Robotic welder programming and troubleshooting 4 years’ experience preferred
- Resistance and MIG welding and repair; mechanical and electrical fabrication and repair
- Destructive testing experience (setting up the process and training others) for RSW, DAW and GMAW
- Experience developing and writing work instructions as they pertain to different welding and inspection operations preferred.
Skills And Knowledge:
- This person should feel comfortable with all aspects of designing, hardware installation, programming and debug of automated robotic welding, sealing, fastening and assembly systems.
- Is thorough, accurate, and reliable when performing and completing job tasks; demonstrates honesty and integrity in all aspects of work.
- Takes positive action to objectively resolve conflict by listening, staying focused on issue to find resolution, and monitoring progress.
- Works with sense of urgency to meet needs of customers.
- Has necessary experience, skills, and knowledge to perform all aspects of job; rotates through all job responsibilities.
- Maintains knowledge and skills to perform job effectively.
- Has ability to focus on benefits of change and see it as positive; approaches change or newness in constructive/objective manner; views change as learning opportunity.
- Looks for good in others; works collaboratively with others; shares information and knowledge.
- Is at work when scheduled and ensures coverage when absent; takes timely breaks/lunches; uses time wisely.
Work Environment / Physical Demands:
- Frequent exposure to noise, fumes, dirt, heat, sparks, and smoke
- May also be exposed to water, vibration, dust, grease, and oil
- Frequently walks, bends, twists, turns, and lifts while performing functions of position
- Required to wear appropriate personal protective equipment; including, eye protection, hearing protection, cut resistant arm guards, and cut resistant gloves.
- Required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear.
- This position will require working on the floor and potentially being on their feet for long periods of time.
Advanced Quality Planning
Advanced Quality Planning (AQP) is a process that brings all disciplines in the manufacturing process which ensures quality parts are produced. AQP is a proven process at B&D that guarantees our customers quality parts are on-time, safely.